I will be the first to admit. I HAVE FALLEN HARD FOR TOR THANAPOB! Ever since I finished the Lakorn The Last Promise, I have been doing a deep dive on his content and other works. I wanted to find out where I could watch more of his dramas and movies. This is how I stumbled upon Ghost Lab. If you are into Horror/Ghost movies, CHECK THIS MOVIE OUT NOW ON NETFLIX!
*Now as per usual with any review I write, I will not be including any spoilers in this review.*
Here is a short synopsis of the movie - After they witness a haunting in their hospital, two doctors become obsessed with proving that ghosts exist and gathering the scientific evidence to prove it.
I clicked play on this movie not knowing much more than that. As I said above, I clicked play because Tor was in this movie. I was willing to go through a scary ghost movie because I got to see Tor again on my screen. I am not the biggest fan of horror movies/dramas and we all know Asia can produce some EXTREMELY scary stuff. I was pleasantly surprised! It has some scary parts FOR SURE but is more of a psychological thriller which I loved.
1) Acting - I know this may sound repetitive but I clicked play on this movie because of Tor. I know Tor is a good actor so I was excited to see him in more content. He did not disappoint in this movie. Neither did the rest of the cast. Tor definitely stood out to me but that might just be me. I thought the rest of the cast played their roles well. I have not seen Ice or Nychaa in anything before so, I was pleasantly surprised by both of them in this movie. Everyone put their all in their role and the story and in my opinion, it paid off.
2) The Story - It took me a little bit to get into the story in the beginning but once it got going, I WAS IN! I think this movie takes a classic genre of ghosts and sort of turns it on its head. The story introduces new ideas to the ghost story/ghost investigation stories. At least, in my opinion it does, but I also have not watched A TON of these types of movies either. I liked how the story, as the movie progressed, sort of matched what the characters were thinking or going through. The story sort of follows the thought process of the characters or at least reflects the characters' decent into their growing obsession.
3) The Twists - Just when you think this movie couldn't get any crazier, IT DOES! The first half of the movie is pretty straight forward and then the 2nd half throws you for a loop. It is like 1 twist after another. As I said above, the twists sort of get crazier as the characters in the movie get crazier. I liked that about this movie.
4) The Emotions - LEAVE IT TO A THAI MOVIE TO THROW EMOTIONS INTO A HORROR MOVIE! I cried multiple times during this movie, ESPECIALLY at the end. I do love when a horror movie isn't just monsters, killing and scares. I am a huge fan of Horror movies and dramas that have a message and put emotions into their movie/drama. Ghost Lab did just that. I liked the message at the end. It sort of was a healing movie in some ways but I don't want to say too much because of spoilers. Just know to keep some tissues nearby when watching this movie.
1) Scary Parts - Now, of course, this is in the horror genre so there are a couple of scary parts. Now, I have seen worse but I just felt like it was better to warn you guys too. If you aren't a horror genre type of person, there are a few scenes that I watched from behind a blanket or clutching a pillow. Overall, it wasn't HORRIBLY scary but there are some scenes that were scary. So, if the horror genre is not your thing, you have been warned if you want to try this movie.
2) Questionable Decisions - In the character's mission to understand and prove that ghosts exist, they did some questionable things. I just wanted to WARN people that ATTEMPTED RAPE is in this movie so again, if you can't handle that sort of thing, this might not be the movie for you. In my opinion, the movie did not have to go this route. Did it emphasize how crazy things get in this movie, OF COURSE but it was unnecessary. The characters do some other questionable things for "science" as they try to justify to themselves but the attempted rape was the worst thing.
3) A Little Whiplash - The genre and story of this movie might give some of the audience whiplash. At the beginning you might think this will be a comedy but it quickly shifts to horror and then a psychological thriller. I didn't mind this because I think it fits well with the characters' thought process and decent into obsession as I have said throughout this review. Others might not like the quick shifts of genre though. So, it might be a con to some people who watch this movie.
Rating: 8.5/10 (Streaming on NETFLIX now)
So, have you seen Ghost Lab?
What did you think?
Is it on your list to watch?
Will you watch this movie now after reading my review?
WE NOW ALSO HAVE A DISCORD SO TALK TO US ON THERE AS WELL!